Wednesday 16 May 2012

To theme or not to theme?

Another week down, another week closer to the big day... another anxiety attack. Three people have asked this me this week what our wedding "theme" is going to be. Theme? Sorry - I thought I was getting married, not hosting a Moulin Rouge inspired burlesque night. But that question has sent my panic levels soaring. Maybe they're right - maybe every wedding needs a theme to tie it together. So, like a good little bride, I start making notes of things, activities and places myself and my partner like that could tie in with our venue. At first it's easy - we're both English so have envisaged tying the knot in the English countryside somewhere, in a country church then with a reception in a rustic barn.

So "rustic" is definitely one aspect of our theme. So far so good. Also on the list of things we like: travelling, beaches (got engaged on one) France, Australia, vintage furniture, dusty books, music, England, food and wine. So a rustic-vintage-beach themed wedding then? Is that even possible? And is that French rustic, or English rustic? Do we include the dusty books or are they superfluous? By the time I'm writing down that at the end of the reception we want to release Thai fire lanterns into the sky to incorporate an element of South East Asia into our wedding I'm so confused I'm actually saying my to fiance - "Maybe we just shouldn't have a wedding at all if we can't decide on a theme!"

It seems near on impossible to tie everything we love together. We're not one of those couples who wear 1950s clothes all the time and therefore want a vintage wedding complete with bunting, bicycles and braces for the groom. Or who love everything beachy to the point that we'd want to have a boat as a centrepiece at our wedding (see last week's blog!)

But maybe that's just it, maybe our theme has been there all along and I've just not noticed it . In a flash it hits me, one word to describe our big day, our key theme  - it's "confusion". Wonderful, ecletic confusion. A little bit rustic, a little bit English, a little bit French a little bit beachy. And very "us".

So that will be my answer next time someone asks me. I'm actually quite fascinated to see how it all turns out. Maybe, just maybe when it comes to themes, your wedding day is the one day when you can have it all.

Until next week...

The Reality Bride x

No comments:

Post a Comment