Friday 11 May 2012

Bridal magazines are not about the articles

Don't get me wrong I love leafing through a glossy, wildy over-priced bridal magazine and swooning over the Wang with the best of them. The pictures are great, inspiring in fact.  It's just the words. And the wacky recommendations - that cause me to laugh and simultaneously feel inadequate because I'm not putting enough effort into the finer details of my own nuptials. To illustrate my point, I recently read: "For a nautical themed wedding pick up and old row boat from Ebay, customise it to your colour scheme and fill it with fresh flowers as a stunning centre-piece for your reception." I mean, what's a wedding without a customised rowing boat right? Or monogrammed cocktail stirrers with your new Mr & Mrs initials as I saw in one magazine.
 
However, my favourite tips are the bridal budget-busters: "Serve cooling homemade lemonade instead of bubbly at your reception to save on a costly champagne budget". Yep homemade lemonade is sure to get everyone up on the dancefloor. Another favourite is: "If you're worried about catering costs, hold a morning ceremony with a morning tea or breakfast reception, then you get to spend your entire wedding day with just your groom after everyone has left." Yeah, read stuffing your face with stale croissants in your wedding dress.   
 
I'd be the first to agree there's nothing like a bridal magazine for a little inspiration - but stick to the pictures. Bridal magazines are like Playboy - most definitely not about the articles.


Until next week...


The Reality Bride x

No comments:

Post a Comment